Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Growing up, my family was lower middle class. Dad worked at Kelly AFB in San Antonio and mom was a housewife. We had one car, one t.v., and - literally - furniture from "the town dump." Mom made most of my clothes - she was very talented- and life was good. In fact, going to the dump was one of our great family adventures.

Somehow, my mom would know when the "good stuff" would be there, and we'd load up in the car and drive out. We made sure we had good shoes on, in case you stepped on something sharp. Then, we'd spread out and start looking. I think I remember being aware that I should be embarrassed to be walking among trash, but mom made it such an adventure that it was okay. Now remember, back then, people burned their household garbage, so most of this stuff was broken down, "useless" items no one wanted anymore. In the hands of my mom, though, it was rejuvenated. A coat of paint, some of dad's handwork with tools, and it had a new life. We've walk and look, and if we found something of interest, we'd call everyone over to see. I'm sure it was odd looking from someone else's perspective, but for us, it was an outdoor version of Family General!
Leave it to my mom and dad to put life back into someone else's junk.

I never took Dana and Erin to the dump... but there's always tomorrow!

2 comments:

Dana said...

You never told us about going to the dump! You learn something new every day!

jenn said...

there was a pharmacy or some kind of store (i don't remember) that sold greeting cards near where we lived, in oklahoma, i think. When they would get a new shipment/display of cards, they would throw out the old ones -- tons of them...IN THE DUMPSTER! my mom would take us with her to the dumpster to retrieve these perfectly good greating cards FROM THE DUMPSTER! she would toss us in, we would throw cards out and then all be on our way. i tease her about throwing her babies in the dumpster but it was quite the money saver (Dave would be proud!) and now we sit in the middle of the trash at parties and christmas to retrieve disgarded tissue paper and gift bags!