Friday, August 18, 2006

Andy was born old and grumpy. He lost his mother at 4 and had several surgeries as a little boy.When I met him, he never took off his shoes or untucked his shirt. He always looked like he was going somewhere unless he was cleaning something. Which he did a lot - clean stuff. His home in Houston was very "formal" with meals and manners, and I grew up in the total opposite; we never even sat at the table together to eat and NEVER wore shoes, much less in the house. Most pictures of me as a child show me in my panties and nothing else. Nothing was air-conditioned, so the fewer clothes the better. Anyway, back to Andy.

Next month, he turns 52. As we have built our history together, I have watched him relax about things and find more humor and enjoyment in the everyday things of life. I'm sure having the girls paid a big part in it, but I really think what has brought him to this more "laid back" aspect of his life is survival. Yes, he's had to adapt to live with me. He is Mr. Schedule; I am Mrs. Procrastinator. He is form and function and everything in its place; I am "Now where did I put that?" He is black and white; I'm gray. So, it was either adapt to living with me or die of an early ulcer and stroke. I'm really glad he did; he's turning into quite a cute little boy, gray hair and all.

I love him more and more each day.

5 comments:

abhiraj said...

i just bumped int your blogs.. good to see that some ppl really do spend thier entire lives together.

gives us youngsters some hope

abhiraj said...

i just bumped int your blogs.. good to see that some ppl really do spend their entire lives together.

gives us youngsters some hope

Jackie said...

Amy, you are so right when you call him a little boy. I adore watching him and Robert morf into youngster-hood. Gives you hope, right?
love you!

The Johnsons said...

Makes me wonder how Gregg and I will adapt/change over the next 30 years for each other...

Dana said...

So Dad is getting younger the older he gets? You know, I have noticed that too. He's definitely one of the coolest kids I know. :)