Saturday, August 05, 2006

There is a commercial on tv right now that shows a couple leaving their family home after selling it. They talk about the memories they have; the history of the home. Last night, Andy and I were going through the small town in which I grew up, and I looked down the street toward my childhood home. There is a "For Sale" sign in the yard - so I made Andy turn and take me by there. It IS for sale - and my mom and dad would roll over in their graves to see the condition of it!! I want to buy it right now and fix it up to the lovely little home that gave my mom and dad (and me) such pride. Never was a penny mortgaged to live there; each room was paid for as it was built. It never looked "added onto" - but it grew as our family did. My brother was born in what eventually was the living room, and the second bath was the last thing to be added; when there were only my parents and younger sister left there. The garage had a dirt floor, when we spent hours playing "doodle bug" in and looking for buried cash when my father died.
I hope whoever buys it will take it and make their own memories; it would really mean a lot to me.

2 comments:

The Johnsons said...

What would you say is one of your favorite childhood memories of the house in Poteet? First home with Dad? Trailor in Brookshire? Low Meadow Home? Weese - so far? Lots of questions... Lots of good memories to think of!

Amy said...

Asking me to pick one favorite memory of all those places is like asking which rose on a bush is the most beautiful. I would have to say the rat in the toilet in the middle of the night is one of my favorites, as is a very pregnant granny climbing out a bedroom window because there's a bat in the house. I also love the feeling of walking around in the yard, just thinking and dreaming and loving how pretty everything Papaw did was.
The other places you name; every day and memory with you, Dana, and Dad are happy memories.