Thursday, August 24, 2006

My dear friend Jackie always makes me think. She challenges me on an almost daily basis, and I like that a lot. It's way too easy to think what you always think and feel what you always feel. One thing we talk about is time travel. We speculate about where we'd go, and why. I think I'd like to visit the eastern states during the American Revolution to feel what the birth of a new nation would feel like; to believe in something so strongly you'd die for it.

On a more light-hearted note, if YOU could travel in time and go back to one sweet, perfect day - would you? I know exactly when I'd go back to, and I wonder if when I got there, would it feel as perfect as I remember it? Probably not; it didn't feel perfect then, when I was living it the first time, but in my memory, looking back... it was just the most wonderful time. I guess that's the good thing about memories; we get to focus on the blessing of the moment and the less wonderful aspects fade from our recall.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

To Amy, my touchstone,
Although I can't pinpoint one perfect memory, I do have three or four of them, safe and sound. I would never revisit them - I have seen 'Our Town' too many times. I couldn't bear it if those times were not all that I remembered. They're locked in time, eternally perfect. Why would I take the chance of spoiling that?
You are in one of them.
much love as always, jackie

Jackie said...

By the way, it was my family (more to the point, my mother), who promted that last blog. Sometimes i'm afraid what I'd give to simply lose my love for her.


oh well.

Cryssy said...

I don't believe I'd go back either. I already know that the memory is a great gift and a great misfortune. Some memories that appear good aren't really as great as we recall. That can be seen when you discuss such memories with others that were also there at the time. They tend to see and remember what we've innocently forgotten. Then the memories that are bad are the ones that we just can't seem to shake no matter what we try. We will try to lose those for forever. But I can see how those events have shaped us into who God has intended for us to be. I wouldn't go back as it might change my perceptions and hence change who God intended for me to be.

The Johnsons said...

I'll be different - I would definitly go back! I'd go back to my week in Mexico with Gregg; New York with Dana; when Gregg proposed; seeing your and dad's faces when we surprised you with your anniversary video and dinner...