Friday, August 04, 2006

When I was in Elementary School - the 60's in case you are wondering - little girls wore dresses to school every day. No jeans or shorts or long pants, no matter the weather - dresses. (Now days, you see a girl in a dress MAYBE on picture or party days !) Anyway, most of July and August, my mom and I spent time down at Franklin's store in my hometown. The owner knew what type of fabrics my mom liked, and would always have in the newest bolts for us to choose from. We would pull bolt after bolt from the shelves, and stretch them out and hold them up and match button and ric-rac and all those lovely things to just the right pattern. We'd get home with a big pile, and then, I'd pick out which one I wanted her to make first. It was wonderful to watch all those individual items come together to make "the first day of school dress." Usually, it was a plaid of some sort, with short sleeves and a full skirt, topped off by a lovely white collar. I felt like a new doll all crisp and pretty in my dress. Little white socks and new shoes finished me up. It is one of my favorite things about the beginning of school each year - a new dress. So, since I don't sew, I am heading to town, in search of the first day of school outfit. Wish me luck!!

No comments: