Monday, August 28, 2006

"Trust and Obey,
For there's no other way
To be happy in Jesus,
Than to trust and obey."


Growing up in the church of Christ in the 60s and 70s, my dad led this song regularly during worship. If I close my eyes and remember, I can hear his voice to this day. He had no training in leading people in song, nor was his voice all that melodious. He led each song as if we were on fast forward, but his pitch was pretty on most of the time.
But singing was a part of my dad as much as working on his beloved cars in the shade of a tree. He whistled when he wasn't singing, and I miss the sound of his voice every day. Be he really isn't the reason for this blog.

Trust and obey. How very simple in concept. Just do it. Don't analyze or rationalize or pontificate. Just trust Him. In everything everyday. His will, not yours; his time, not mine. Trust. We skeptical people think there's always a motive or an excuse not to trust because someone at sometime hurt us or let us down, and so we put up the wall between us and Him. He loves us anyway and just says "Trust me, Amy. I'm in control."

And then, there's obey. Ugh. I want to, just not now. Later, Lord. I will obey Your commands for my life. If it fits into what I want and how I want it, I'll obey you, but only then.

If I could only understand how much easier and better my life would be, if I could just trust and obey. Maybe we need to sing that oldie more often.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

that has always been one of my favorites - it's so true. there is absolutly no other way, huh?

But I do hate the forced rhyme - 'prove' and 'love'. robert and I always say 'Looove.' it works.

love you and miss you and thanks for the call.

Cryssy said...

Do you think any of us will understand the full meaning of those words? Everytime I think I'm getting a better handle on it...WHAM! Something hits me hard and spins me around and I realize how far I am from that goal. God help us!