Wednesday, August 30, 2006

At school today, we discussed the upcoming 5th anniversary of the attack on 9/11. We are a campus of 3rd and 4th graders, and we speculated that more often than not, few of our kids even remember it happening. So, how to honor the innocent killed and their loved ones without upsetting little children unnecessarily? For us adults, the images are burned into our minds forever, but 9 year olds? Well, we will have a moment of silence and briefly recall in carefully chosen words what that day has become to our nation. May God keep those children from having more days like that to remember in their lives.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

I guess I'm the most politically incorrect person I know. and rotten. I'm rotten. to the core. I think 9-11 should be burned into our history (yes, even to 9 year olds . . like I said, I'm rotten) instead of being hidden, like we should be the ones ashamed. I think even childrren should be aware that this is not a movie or a video game - it's real. Maybe having 2 kids fighting against it slats my views. Jah and Julie and Kaia have no choice but to hear graphically about it. Not real sure that's a bad thing. Just the reality of the world we live in.

Jackie said...

i meant to say 'slants my view'. Please forgive my passion on this subject.
love you!

The Johnsons said...

I understand what both you and Mrs. Hutton are saying. Yes you need to be considerate of the students, but they do need to know...

So other than the moment of silence, I'm going to bet that someone said to read the book September 12th: We Knew We Would Be All Right. Am I right?

(looks like you got the word verification figured out!)

Dana said...

September 12th: We Knew We Would Be All Right is my read aloud for that day. We will talk about what was taken from us and why. We will talk about national pride. Then we will do what so many children around the world will never get to do: learn. And my beautiful, educated girls will find themselves is a better place than those hiding in holes and caves. That is what America is about and that is what I will teach my kids.