Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Do you share your name with lots of people? I did not know any other Amys until I was 14. I'll never forget the day; I ws at church camp, and they were calling mail call. I was sitting with my cabin,chatting along and not really listening. Suddenly, I hear "Amy ____." I jump up, all excited to get my mail, and there's another girl taking it from the man who called my name!! She claimed her name was AMY - how dare she?!? Now, I grew up in a small, south Texas town with lots of Debbies and Marys and Johns, but I was the ONLY Amy. Hmph... how could this have happened!? My mom had told me the story of how my name was supposed to be Amy Amelia, but my dad insisted on naming me after my mom, so I became Margaret Amy. But sharing with someone else the name that was so carefully chosen just for me really stuck with me. Now, at my campus alone, there are 5 of us Amys. Almost enough for a club or something. I guess I"ll adjust.
Have a good evening.

No comments: