Monday, August 14, 2006

Tonight was "meet the teacher" at my school campus. For many days now, we've been in inservice and faculty meetings, doing all the small things that have to be ready to begin a new year. Today was the day when we were supposed to be left to work in our classrooms, to be ready for parents and kids to come in and in some way prepare the children for the big day tomorrow. As a special ed teacher, I won't get my kids until the second day, and so I have an "extra" day to prepare. The trouble with that idea is that everone else wants you to do stuff with them because they are so pressed for time and know I have more time. So. .. it wasn't that bad, but I'm surely not ready.
Back to "Meet the Teacher." Did you know that there are so many supplies required to do 4th grade that they fill a Large backpack and one or two Wal-Mart bags?! Dad usually has to carry them in, and he looks strained doing it. Ridiculous. The kids are happy to be back, and one or two from the previous years sneak in to visit a former teacher. The parents are all excited to see each other as well; it's fun to watch all the visiting. All in all, not a bad couple of hours to ease the anxiety of a new year, be it kid or mom. I kinda miss having little ones to get ready, but I know that in my future, I'll have grandkids to buy goodies for, and the fun will return.
Wish me luck; the real excitement comes early tomorrow!!

2 comments:

The Johnsons said...

Hope you had a good first day of school! I know you have your first round of kids tomorrow, but I also know how much you look forward to the first of the school year - that would be beginning today... Love you!

Jackie said...

a memory i cherish . . . . first meeting you, with your sweet disposition, your calm face, your smooth control, until i mentioned school starting up again - do you remember? all serenity was gone. it was your version of jeckyll and hyde. it was the first time i realized that you and i would be good friends. and i was right.
much love.