Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I've followed my daughter's example by opening up my comments to anyone and not just other bloggers, so please - be nice! This is a new venture for me, and while I enjoy it, it is scary to know anyone can respond.
_______________

Today at school, I sat across from Austin and discussed his latest bout with his diabetes. He's 10. Has been diabetic since he was about 4, so he
really knows no other way to live. Yesterday, his leg kept hurting and he went to the nurse. He checks his own blood, and it was high, so they called mom. Every now and then, he expresses some resentment that he is the only one in his family with this disease, and how it affects his life.
Ten year old boys shouldn't have to deal with things so somber and life-altering. But he does, and in spite of it is a pretty happy, well-adjusted little kid. I don't think I"ll be forgetting him any time soon.

Please, Lord. Keep me from whining.

1 comment:

Cryssy said...

Since Gabe was born, I've come to think that what the world views as faults, trials, or issues (or whatever it is that makes people stop and say "poor you") is absolutely a gift from God. Now these people may not see it this way but I do. These things open the eyes of those it is happening to. We are better able to enjoy our lives as we can see clearer than most just how precious life really is. Gabe's hospital stay was one of the best (and worst of course) things that has ever happened to me. I endeavor to never take anything for granted. I still do I'm sure, but I focus more than I would have on being thankful for the little things. To ignore the fact that my child will never be able to keep up with his peers but to see that he is walking which is a miracle. He can see...another miracle. He speaks...gosh, another one. Well, now that you mention it...he shouldn't even be alive! I'm so incredibly blessed. Never say "poor you" or even think it. I see people like Austin and I smile knowing we have something that others might not have. Love you!