Thursday, August 31, 2006

Last night, church was sweet. Every 5th Wed., we cancel our classes and gather into the auditorium for singing and prayer with a few scriptures thrown in.

At the beginning of the service, Ray - our minister - explained that he hoped we would concentrate on more prayer during this particular evening; several things of importance are facing our congregation, and he felt we needed more focus. So, several men came down to the front to lead us between songs. One by one, I watched the men I love leading us in a song or two and then another step forward to pray. Nothing ceremonial; scripted; scheduled. Just men, using their talents and gifts to approach the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Afterward, it was like no one was in a hurry to leave. As I walked among different clusters of people, there was conversation and playful joking and just being with each other. I felt so lucky to be there, and yet I've had hundreds of those same Wed. nights. I don't know if I was different, or what , but it lifted my spirit to such calmness and peace. Hope I hold on to it for a while - it was the best.

1 comment:

jenn said...

oh my word, get out of my brain! i wonder if maybe it was because we were focused on prayer and our prayers were focused on making unified decisions. it's neat i think that we were moved the same way by last night!
and no i didn't read your blog until just now! because i didn't know how---didn't know your address...now i do! And i LOVE your page---i almost chose the same background!
I love you and am so glad i get to talk to you more often now that we have blog---i love blog---like dana loves google! :) luvya