Wednesday, August 16, 2006

"Do you remember me?!?" "Miss, do you remember my name?!?" One of the most wonderful aspects of teaching school is the thought that, for one year, I had the chance to make a student want me to remember them. At Meet the Teacher the other night, I was near a co-worker when one of her former students - who now has a child on our campus- came up and asked "the question." It was all over her face; that desire to know that the teacher could recall her name from the hundreds of children she's taught for over 30 years. Some you do; you never forget them for good reasons or bad, yet some slip by in the crowd and just never jell into our consciences. I see them at the drive-through or the movie or in HEB; little ones all grown up now wanting to re-establish that bond that we shared for a while a long time ago. Monday night, one "bad boys" from a couple of years ago quietly walked over and hugged me before anyone saw him. It made my night - I hope it did his, too.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

You know, my teachers always remembered me - - all I get is the 'Oh, you're the one who visited too much in class.' (that was always on my report card)
thanks for introducing me to blogging. i can't seem to stay off the computer now.